ABOUT THE CLASS
January 25 – March 29, 2019
Not meeting March 8 – 15, 2019
Fridays from 2pm – 5pm
This class will guide students through the fundamentals of painting from life using the alla prima process. Meaning "at once" in Italian, alla prima is a wet on wet technique in which a painting is begun and finished in one session. This process can be complicated and require a bit of finesse to manipulate the paint while capturing the value, color, and mood of the subject.
Open to novice level painters. Students will learn proportion, value, and color relationships to structure, mass, and form. Emphasis is placed on paint handling, brush usage, and expression while understanding the relationship of the objects to its environment. Composition and the creative process are explored from concept to finished work. Methods of presentation for the class content will occur through lecture and demonstrations with one-on-one interaction with the instructor. The objective of the class is to complete a painting that is successful in composition, value range, color temperature, and a sense of overall completeness. Participants can expect to complete paintings gaining insight into the process to apply the alla prima technique to landscape, figure, and still life painting.
For the advanced painter, this is an opportunity to add a new skill set or refine the wet on wet technique. Concentrate on painting the desired subject while developing the nuances in your style. Cultivate your skills, including color mixing, paint application, proportion, gesture, and anatomy. Explore techniques a skilled painter employs to create refined works of art.
- Learn the entire alla prima process from the beginning sketch to the applying the finish touches.
- Learn how to correctly evaluate value and color while using a limited color palette.
- Learn how to use and manipulate oil paint, mediums, and brushes.
Supply List: Recommended, however, you may bring and use what you are comfortable with.
- 2, 3-Packs of 11 x 14-inch or 12 x 16-inch Canvases (no bigger than 16 x 20-inch Canvases) for a Total of 6 Canvases.
- Bristle Brushes in Sizes of 2, 6, 10 or Small to Large
- Palette (disposal or your regular palette)
- Gamsol and Container for Mineral Spirits
- Paper Towels or Shop towels
- Oil Paints
- (White,Yellow, Red, Blue, Brown) Titanium White, Hansa Yellow, Napthol Red, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna
- Portable Easel (If you have one.)