ABOUT THE CLASS
Fridays | August 16 – September 6, 2019
6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Painting the figure presents the greatest challenge to the artist and once mastered, opens up a world of possibilities.
This oil painting class emphasizes on the representation of the model and construction of the figure. Working from direct observation students will focus on simplifying larger masses, using angles, importance of shape design, understanding light and value, use of edges, and mixing skin tones. Each student will be taught the fundamental techniques to complete a painting from start to finish.
Register today and explore techniques a skilled painter employs to create refined works of art!
Students will learn:
How to correctly evaluate value and color while using a limited color palette.
- How to use and manipulate oil paint, mediums, and brushes.
- Gain a likeness by using angles and shape as starting points for a painting
- Key concepts in creating skin tones
- How to utilize value simply and effectively to create volume and contrast
- How to use various edges to create depth and volume
- Gain an understanding of nuanced brushwork and paint handling.
- How to remove detail and apply the less is more concept for a “looser” painting.
- Continue to refine your style and perfect your proportions with each class.
(Recommended, however, you may bring and use what you are comfortable with.)
- Several 3-packs of canvas panels sizes 12x16 or 14x18 inches
- Bristle Brushes in Sizes of 2, 6, 10 or Small to Large
- Palette (disposal or your regular palette)
- Gamsol and Container for Mineral Spirits
- Paper Towels or Shop towels
- Oil Paints
- (White,Yellow, Red, Blue, Brown) Titanium White, Hansa Yellow, Napthol Red, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna
- Portable Easel (If you have one.)
Number of students: 10
An easy-to-order supply list is available on Dick Blick at this link.
*This course will use a live model both nude and clothed.
$235 (includes model fee)