ABOUT THE CLASS
Levels: Beginner to Advanced
Thursdays | October 10 – November 7, 2019
(Class will not meet October 17th)
6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
There is just no substitute for painting from life and is extremely useful for the novice or seasoned painter.
This class will guide students through every stage of a simple step by step oil painting process from the basic block-in of the larger shapes and forms, to the final rendered painting. After taking this class, students will gain an understanding of how to apply foundational concepts of simplifying and understanding the form, the importance of light and value, and the use of color and temperature to create a successful painting.
Register today and explore techniques a skilled painter employs to create refined works of art!
Student will learn:
- Simple step by step process for painting from life.
- How to correctly set up and light your objects.
- How to hone your observational skills and represent what you see on the canvas.
- How to use angles and shapes to simplify your forms.
- Gain an understanding of the importance of light and value.
- How to correctly evaluate color and temperature while using a limited color palette.
- How to manipulate edges to give the illusion of a three-dimensional painting.
- Gain an understanding of nuanced brushwork and paint handling.
- How to remove detail and apply the less is more concept for a “looser” painting
- Gain the confidence to continue to refine your skills.
(Recommended, however, you may bring and use what you are comfortable with.)
- Several 3-packs of canvas panels sizes 12x16 or 14x18 inches
- Bristle Brushes in Sizes of 2, 6, 10 or Small to Large
- Palette (disposal or your regular palette)
- Gamsol and Container for Mineral Spirits
- Paper Towels or Shop towels
- Oil Paints
- (White,Yellow, Red, Blue, Brown) Titanium White, Hansa Yellow, Napthol Red, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna
- Portable Easel (If you have one.)
Number of students: 10
An easy-to-order supply list is available on Dick Blick at this link.